Saturday, April 17, 2010

An Aunt or An Uncle?

I ran into a distant acquaintance the other day, a very nice young lady who informed me that she'd gotten married recently. In the midst of my congratulations, another parent -- a Dad --overheard the good news and added his well wishes to mine.

Our mutual acquaintance then informed us that she's also very excited that her sibling is expecting a new baby soon... the first of the next generation in her family. When the Dad inquired, "do you know if it's a boy or a girl?" our excited acquaintance said...

"No, the new parents want it to be a surprise so I'll have to wait to see if I'm going to be an aunt or an uncle!"

[indiscernible pause accompanied by dually-furrowed brows... his and mine]

And with a genuine smile I quickly recouped and said, "Don't you just love a good surprise?"

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the smiles... I had to read it twice to "get it". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asking if she's blond is too easy, right? Great recovery and well done, you...Thanks for the laughs and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's hilarious!! Thanks for sharing that little highlight of the day. :-)

    ReplyDelete