Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Parental Satisfaction

Still not ready to go public with this blog but I'm going to anyway just to keep my pledge to '31 for 21'. So, you'll all have to bear with me and my transition... Here's my tidbit of information that I want everyone to know in honor of "Down Syndrome Awareness Month":

THE PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH DOWN SYNDROME REPORT THE GREATEST LEVEL OF PARENTAL SATISFACTION THAN ANY OTHER PARENTS!

I've discovered so much about myself since I've had my boys. Partly because they have Down syndrome and partly because they are twins. Not that I can separate the two. Nor would I want to. My boys bring me the greatest joy I have ever known in life. They are more capable and demonstrative of unconditional love than any pet I've ever owned. And, that's a big statement coming from a lifelong animal lover who frequently recommended to others in the midst of one relationship crisis or another -- be it sig-oth/spouse or children -- "if you want unconditional love, get a cat"!

Now, though I have a 2 cats, a dog and 3 fish, it's these amazing boys who bring me my daily dose and overabundant unconditional love. I wonder what I thought the point of life was before I had my 3 beautiful children. These "special" children whose every single accomplishment, no matter how simple, is a celebration and whose futures are bright yet unknown (just like it is for the rest of us). Thank God for my children -- who happen to have Down syndrome -- and for the one that doesn't :)... my old soul sent to precede my boys, to help and teach me. My life is fuller and richer for their presence! I completely concur with the statement above. I am happy to report that I am a blissfully happy parent of 3 beautiful children... 2 of which happen to have Down syndrome!

xo maggie

Olivia '01
Brian & Michael '05 (ID w/ DS)

No comments:

Post a Comment