Friday, January 23, 2009

My Happiness Commandments

I realize I've been skipping posts. So, just to catch up (for myself), I'd like to take a moment to document my own list of what my happiness mentor, Gretchen Rubin at the http://happiness-project.com/, calls her "12 Commandments". These are the basic rules of your life that keep you going and, hopefully, help to keep you happy. Of course I'd have 13 (the "old soul's" favorite number). So here's what I've come up with (not necessarily in order of importance):

[1] Smile/Laugh (it boosts every one's happiness quotient)

[2] Accept Me (as I am today)

[3] It's OK to be human (You know, "to err is human")

[4] Make amends now (don't let bad feelings fester)

[5] Exercise (even if it's just for the endorphins)

[6] Do something for ME. (I always seem to be at the bottom of my list)

[7] Embrace change (it's inevitable anyway)

[8] Act As If (If I act the way I want to feel, I will feel the way I act. Not the other way around.)

[9] Drop it (Don't beat the dead horse)

[10] Retreat & rejuvenate (Querencia - when I need it and where I find my peace)

[11] Live to Dive Another Day (if it doesn't feel "right"... don't do it)

[12] You CAN'T do it all (so do what's most important)

[13] Do the right thing (even if it's hard)

Everyone has them though not necessarily written down. Their basic rules for life. What are the tenets that you live by?

No comments:

Post a Comment