Thursday, April 23, 2009

Down Syndrome Awareness - Help With Parent/Child Support Group

I'd like your help. I have some questions for all of you parents out there like me -- those with children who happen to be blessed with an extra chromosome. I've taken the first few steps toward starting a local parent/child support group for parents like us in my area. I want very much for the experience to be a positive, educational, supportive and proactive one for all involved. So, before I pull the proverbial trigger, I'd like to know from those of you who belong -- or don't belong -- to a parent/child support group what you have -- or wish you had -- in your group (if you had one).

Please free-think about this but also think about some of the topics I've included below and share your thoughts by posting a comment. If you'd prefer to email me rather than posting a comment, please feel free to do so at (this is going to be cryptic to avoid spamming, God knows I get enough of that): marshall then hagan, all one word; then the at sign in the circle; then verizon dot net. Also, please remember to leave me contact info somehow -- email or blog address if you're comfortable doing so -- so I can get in touch with you with questions and/or express my appreciation.

Thoughts On:
- Meeting location (public, private home, outside, meeting room etc.)
- Meeting time and day (afternoon/after school, evening, Weekday, Friday, weekend etc.)
- Meeting frequency (monthly, weekly, bi-weekly, quarterly etc.)
- Children Included (no babysitters required, kid-activities included, or time away from kids)
- Variety (shake it up with location, kids/no kids, day, time etc.)
- Speakers/Topics for discussion (open/planned "experts/pros" or life-experienced parents etc.)
- Meeting/Group Purpose (share resources, support, advocacy, activities etc., camaraderie)
- Friend-in-Need program (Welcome Kits and parent-to-parent to lend support)

- Free-Think: what does your group do, location, time, topics, # of parents, kids too? etc.

The ball is already rolling so I'd appreciate your thoughts as soon as possible. Looking forward to receiving lots of great feedback. Thanks, in advance, for yours!

Wishing You All The Best,

maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment